Each secondary school in Waterloo Region is invited to submit up to two videos for consideration in the 2017 Charlie Awards Film Festival. Your film doesn't have to be a film made for a class, but check with your school's Film Studies or Comm Tech teacher to make sure they aren't already submitting two films this year. (Occasionally we can take three films if there are fewer submission. E-mail in April to find out for sure.)
Films may be any genre (drama, animation, comedy, documentary, music video, thriller...).
- be student made - no direct teacher involvement allowed
- be created within a year from the festival date (April to April)
- may be created as an assignment for class or made independent of any course
- run a maximum playing time of 10 minutes (or so... sometimes a minute or two over is accepted)
- be rated G to PG-13 for a General Admission audience (avoid profanity)
- use royalty-free music OR get written permission, AND list songs and permissions in the credits
- list the full film crew in the credits and acknowledge people that helped or locations you used
- contain minimal use of stock footage
- be saved as a .MP4 H.264 file, under 1 GB, on a USB LABELLED with the title and brought on the day of the festival (NOTE: we will be keeping the memory sticks for the night and will return them within a week after the show, so it's best if ONLY your film is on the USB, for your sake and ours) - OR SHARE the file with firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com the night before the festival. (Upload to google drive, then share the file link.)
- bring a copy on a disc and/or on a second memory stick as well in case something goes wrong with the original USB
- Intent to submit must be received by April 18. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with...
- School name and teacher,
- Film title and length,
- Names of students involved (particularly the director's name)
- Videos must be submitted in person on USBs on April 25, 2019 at The Princess Cinema no later than 9:00 a.m. or shared to email@example.com no later than 10 p.m. the night before the festival (April 24th).
- Each video must be submitted separately (i.e. don't put two films on one USB).
- If your video ends up in the final three, it will be showcased on this website.
Festival Itinerary: THURSDAY, APRIL 25th, 2019 - 9:00 a.m. at the original Princess Cinema on Princess Street
- BRING: Your video on a USB (and on a disc or second USB just in case), and your lunch (one hour lunch break).
- 9 -12 and 1-2 p.m. - Film crews of ALL submitted films will preview all videos and get the judges' feedback during the day.
- 2-3 p.m. - The top ten videos will be announced and discussed.
- 7:00 - 8:30 - The top ten videos will be screened for film crews, families, and the general public.
- 8:30 - The two finalists and a winner will be named and awarded CASH PRIZES (cheques sent at a later date).
Teachers: download and print this poster advertising the festival. There are only general dates on it, so it can be kept up year after year!!